31 July 2010

Girl's Night Out

Last night we had a small group of our married friends over for a Girl's Night Out (GNO). I've known all of these girls since we were 5 years old. A couple of them maybe even a bit longer, although my memory doesn't go back that far with any amount of clarity. You're shocked, I'm sure.

One girl (Hey Stacey) lives up in Idaho and we don't get to see her much. She happen to be in town and got to hang. It's awesome because we just get together and it seems like we've only been apart for a few weeks. We talk, we eat, we play games, we talk about old times, we talk about life now, we talk about their kids, we laugh . . .

A few months ago an author, Barbra Hambly, was at a convention I was attending. In her main address, she said that one of the best things about the last 20 years was making 30 year friendships into 50 year friendships. A lot of people in the world don't have that opportunity. I've been so lucky in my life to have friends that I already have a 30 year friendship with. Strange to think that by the time we're all old and having motorized wheelchair races at the Life Care Center there could be people I've known for 70 years.

That makes me smile.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Aww...I even got mentioned by name in your blog. It was a lot of fun hanging out. We don't (okay, I don't) get to do it nearly often enough.