15 October 2011

Adventures in Walking


Yes, I'm at it again. Still trying to work myself up to the 11 mile hike into Druid Arch in a few weeks.

And can I just say (which I will, because this is my blog and you can't stop me) that going to sparring class and then heading out on a two hour walk up in the hills of Bountiful was not a good plan. My body is pissed. The 150 or so kicks we did in Kempo class probably didn't help.

Hey, you try it. Go on. I'll wait.

Really. Go ahead. Now go walk five miles.

Needless to say my body is tired. I've got a stupid headache that won't quit and I'm wondering if this 11 mile thing will be the death of me.

But does this hinder my resolve to go? No, of course not. And why?

Why do you ask?

Mostly because I'm dumb. Yes, I readily admit it. Blonde moments plague my everyday activities, and about half of the time I wonder what I was thinking right as I'm in the middle of something. I can't wait until I can call them blonde, senior moments, but luckily those are still a few years away.

A few good things did come out of my adventure this afternoon. First, I got some sun. I'm pretty much white all year around—a sunburn turns red and peels off revealing the white underneath again—so any sun is good sun. Second, I saw some beautiful fall leafs. See the picture above. Third, I listened to the first part of Harry Dresdon #3, which made me laugh out loud a few times. Good thing no one else was dumb enough to be walking outside on a Saturday afternoon. They might think I'm weird. Fourth, I was so tired tonight that I sat on the couch and watched Without a Clue and then, because we were in the Sherlock mood, the first episode of the new Sherlock that came out on BBC earlier this year. Loved both of them, by the way. And fifth, I think I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight. Good bye cruel world . . . until I wake in the morning.

2 comments:

Lace and Books said...

OKAY... how weird is this that the Dresden Files has come up twice in less than 24 hours? Here you are reading them and Stacy Weeks-Griffin just recommended them to me last night. *boggle*

I'm going to finish the "Dragonback" books by Zahn first, but...I can't wait to meet Bob.

Nice photo FYI

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

The hike sounds fun, despite the weariness. You could probably go a lot further than me!