22 July 2012

The Amazing Spiderman



Peter Parker finds a clue that might help him understand why his parents disappeared when he was young. His path puts him on a collision course with Dr. Curt Connors, his father's former partner. 

Yes, I have to admit that Spiderman is one of my favorites. I liked the previous trilogy (well, the first two) but was excited to see a re-boot on it. In my Kung Fu fantasy world, I'm a great warrior, but always toss out horrible banter during fights because it relaxes me and is distracting to my opponents. I think I get that from Spiderman. Unfortunately, we wear mouth guards in sparring class, so the witty banter sounds like someone chewing on a piece of gun the size of a hamburger bun. Spidy doesn't have that problem...

Why did I come to this movie again?

Because I wanted to see the new Spiderman!

5 out of 5

Characters

I feel like this movie was well cast. I can't think of a single character that felt out of place or at all wrong. Everyone got their fair share of emotional upheaval. I was surprised that they left Peter Parker in high school, but I think it worked for this film. If not for a guy in my writing group I would have no idea who Gwen Stacey was, and I'm afraid of what will happen to the poor girl.

5 out of 5

Did I care what happened?

Yes, I cared what happened. I even cared about the bully when Peter decided to beat him up a little bit. (Okay, I cheered inside, but still knew it wasn't a very nice thing to do.) I loved the conversation Peter has with the police commissioner about Spiderman being a vigilante—both sides to the issue and presented very well.

4 out of 5

Plot Holes

I honestly can't think of anything huge. They didn't make it clear if Spidey could heal faster than normal humans, which I kind of wanted to know and thought was important. Then again, I've never read the comics (just Saturday morning cartoons and movies) so maybe he doesn't. I can't remember. Oh, and I'm not sure he really could have gotten into the spider room like he did. That part did make me roll my eyes.

4 out of 5

How many times did I yawn?

None.

5 out of 5

Cool Factor

I really liked how they put a few new twists on this origin story. The skate board cracked me up, and I loved the first scene where he was trying to figure out his powers. The webs went back to being mechanical rather than coming out of Spidey, which I think is closer to the original story. Whoever choreographed the fight scenes did an awesome job with using the webs in every aspect of the battle, which my not so inner Kung Fu fan girl squealed about. And although there was a lot of CGI going on, I didn't feel beaten down with it, which was nice.

5 out of 5

The End

Mostly I liked the end. I was a bit upset with Peter Parker when he decides to go back on his promise, but wasn't surprised. The thing is, why then? Like with Batman, they didn't show me this switch, so I didn't get it.

4 out of 5

Overall Enjoyment

I liked! Great lines (both funny and profound), awesome cast, a moment that made me tear up and I wanted to clap at the end. A good movie.

5 out of 5

Score=37


That's a Black Belt!

No comments: