05 August 2012

The Dark Night Rises



Eight years on, a new terrorist leader, Bane, overwhelms Gotham's finest, and the Dark Knight resurfaces to protect a city that has branded him an enemy.

No snarky comments from me on this one.

Why did I come to this movie again?

Uh, because it's Batman. I have to admit being a bigger fan of Spiderman than Batman in general, but the first two movies in this trilogy were so dang good, that I was way excited to see this one!

5 out of 5

Characters

I think I have to say that Commissioner Gordon is my favorite character of this whole series—he is the man. The new kid is cool, Cat Woman did great and since I'm a big fan of Christian Bale I'd go just to watch him. Of course in a universe as established as this one, they writers had a lot to work with. I'm not sure the villain alignment in this movie ever happened in the comics, but I thought it was great. The bit part by the Scarecrow cracked me up. Bane isn't as crazy as the Joker is/was, but he revels in his badness, and in general provided a presence that is hard to overshadow on the screen.  And he kind of sounded like Sean Connery.

4 out of 5

Did I care what happened?

Yes, I totally cared what happened. The writers pulled every emotional strand they could throughout this movie, and I have to admit that it didn't feel even close to 2 ½ hours long. The journey of Bruce Wayne had me on the edge of my seat, as well as the cops and everyone back in Gotham.

4 out of 5

Plot Holes

Okay, so these aren't plot holes, but bits of the movie that made me go, “What?” In my head, of course, not out loud. And I won't go into specifics, but there were three moments (pivotal for the characters involved) that didn't ring true to me. The emotional ramp-up to these moments felt weak and one I didn't really understand at all. They make sense for the plot and for the subsequent series of new Batman movies that I assume is coming, but these three psychological moments did not work for me. There were subtle clues, but nothing concrete enough for me to totally believe the reactions. I'm being nit-picky, but I'm a customer, so I'm allowed.

4 out of 5

How many times did I yawn?

Uh, never.

5 out of 5

Cool Factor

The opening scene with Bane has to sit at the top of my list on this one. Very cool. This movie didn't feel as much as a “wow me” movie as it did a deeper story. Which I liked, but it does keep me from giving the movie a 5 in this category. All the toys were cool, and the bad guys plan was brilliant.

4 out of 5

The End

The moment that reversal happened all I could think was, “Why didn't I see that coming? I knew that!” But the writers distracted me enough that I think I actually gasped out loud at one point. Nice job writers.

Then the VERY end made me walk away from the otherwise dark and depressing movie (laced with hard-won triumph of course) a happy girl.

5 out of 5

Overall Enjoyment

I need to see it again. They put a bunch of hugely profound lines in there that I want to hear. The one that struck me the most was when Bane leaves a broken Bruce Wayne and says something akin to, “Real despair cannot be felt unless there is some hope.” True and cruel all at the same time. There were like ten of those lines in there, and frankly I didn't expect them out of Batman. Again, kudos to the writers.

5 out of 5

Score=36


That's a Black Belt!

No comments: