23 January 2013

The Next Big Thing

“THE NEXT BIG THING” is designed to raise awareness of our work, or work in progress. We do that by answering ten questions about it. We graciously thank the person who nominated us, and tag four to six other authors whose work could very well be THE NEXT BIG THING.

What is the working title of your next book?
Sunder

Where did the idea come from for the book?
Strangely enough, it came to me in church.  Which isn't normal.

What genre does your book fall under?
YA Science Fiction

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Alex Pettyfer for the protagonist, Liam Hemsworth as the awesome side kick (if he can do funny) and maybe Alyson Stoner for the romantic lead. Yes, I had to look all of those people up. I'm a little old for knowing who is who in the teen acting world.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
In a galaxy entrenched in a civil war, sixteen year old Dalen takes his father's Fighter and enlists, only to find himself a reluctant guardian to an ancient force that could pull the Sphere apart.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I hope it will be represented!

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Two months.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I'd like to say it's like Ender's Game, but I'm not that cool yet. I did read a book called Insingia, which has some of the same feel I'm going for.  My story isn't hard Sci-Fi. More adventure and cool technology.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
The deep roots of my idea came from a scriptural story about 2,000 Stripling Warriors. I know it sounds insane, but so far it's working!

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
There are a handful of punk teenagers, plenty of humor, giant mechas, ancient relics and lots of fighting...all in space. There is lots of space involved.  It's going to be great!

* * *
Here are the fabulous authors I’ve tagged to tell you about their Next Big Thing! They will post next Wednesday.  Check them all out, I plan to ride their coat tails to fame!

R.K Grow
Taryn Taylor
Jordan Ricks
Tony Duston

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jo this sounds like a cool book. I hope I'll get to read some of it in our group. I hope I can live up to your tag! You are paving the way.

Elsie Park said...

This story sounds great, Jo Ann! I get lots of ideas from biblical stories. They're the best kind of inspiration.

Jordan said...

I just realized I totally forgot to do this. So sorry!