14 March 2013

The Five Rules of the Dojo

Okay, so I've always wondered why they call them rules. I mean, rules should be things like, “Don't steal, stay on your side of the road when you drive and no white pants after Labor Day.” Those make sense. But the rules of the dojo are as follows:

Self Control
Sincerity
Effort
Etiquette
Character

Wow, I had no idea that's how you actually spell etiquette. Good thing for spell check. Sometimes I love that little, red line.

Anyway, those are the five rules of the dojo. They've all got definitions, which I will share later, and they're all very important. But because we're here, and not at the dojo, I'm going to call them something besides rules. Something awesome. Something that won't come to mind. (Don't you HATE it when this happens?)

I could go with “Guidelines”, but that's so Pirates. I could use “attitudes”, and it might work, but I wouldn't want anyone to get it mixed up with the beatitudes, which are way different. I think. Especially if you read Hebrew, which I do not.

Let's go with code. Sounds cool, and kind of sinister. And I can't think of anything else.

So if the list above is my code for the dojo (and they gave it to me, so I didn't have to think too hard about it), then what is my code for writing?

Certainly there is plenty of both Self Control and Effort going on. If not for them, then I would be drowning in Easter candy and feel fulfilled. Character relates. I'm just sayin'. Sincerity? Huh, not sure about that. I guess we write what we know, and every author strives to help other see the world in a new light. That should be sincere. But Etiquette? (Whew, spelled it right without having to look.) It's your writing chair, your keyboard, your story...I may have to think about that one.

So over the next few weeks, I'll be talking about my code of writing. I'm a process girl, and I think sometimes people wonder if I'm having fun, but I'm happiest when I get something finished. The journey is cool, but the ending is the best part for me.

What about you? Any thoughts? (About your writing code, sheesh.)

1 comment:

Lace and Books said...

As I have "finished" very little fiction writing I'd have to say I love the journey more than the destination (it's cool too, but).

Painting and other artistic things...that's a different matter. I love it when a work is done (to my satisfaction). I think it has to do with your passion.